Monday, September 16, 2013

Some ranting against technology

This is not going to be a very coherent argument as I still have fever. I will revise this soon.
So there is the trend to tech things up---the most extreme being "no child left untableted". I am personally against that. For one thing there is no evidence that the marginal benefit of introducing technology justifies the cost---which consists for government expenditure, (which in turn includes staffing cost) and deadweight loss associated with taxation needed for such expenditures. To be honest, I doubt if there is any marginal benefit for kids introduced with all these fancy stuff.
I am a reluctant technology user---by reluctant I mean, I feel I have taken up say smartphones because it is a better option for me, given that everyone else is using them. However, my overall satisfaction has fallen dramatically. I would be much better off were smartphones not introduced at all.
By imposing technology on kids so early on, we are only reinforcing this effect.

Ultimately, I wish to retire the use of smartphones, then emails, like Donal Knuth.

No comments:

Post a Comment