Sunday, September 29, 2013

About Models

I did not intend to write this, but I felt I need to after reading a comment to my post.

There are two kinds of models. One kind of model is to make a point, or formalize an insight. The other kind of model is used to model the reality closely, and they are intended to be brought to empirical tests.

The first kind of model are designed to be as simple as possible, but not simpler. The second kind is designed to be as realistic as possible. We calibrate the parameters, and estimate the distributions if there is stochastic elements. Each parameter or variable has a direct implications---none of which is true for the first model.

I probably will only discuss and present the first kind of model in my blogs (I tend to prefer them in research as well). So what to make of my model? There are some basic take-aways, and that is why I wrote the model down. There are also many conclusions specific to the model assumptions, do not pay attention to them. They are not likely to be robust.  The general rule is that do not be religious of the numbers I generate, and they depend on model assumptions heavily. Nevertheless, I try to present robust qualitative results.

There are tons of criticisms that I could leash out against normal distribution. But I will use them anyway. It is unlikely it gonna change the basic idea, and it is convenient.


I will end with a semi-relevant anecdote. In class one day, professor Helpman decided to present a general model of multiple goods. There is one "theoretic" guy in class and he asked:" Why don't we make the model more realistic and generalize to a continuum of goods?" Not a super impressive question. With finite numbers of molecules in the universe (yes, a large number),  "continuum" is is not more realistic than "general N".

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I was probably being too "theoretical" about the model assumptions since I wanted to point out that the extreme results of the simulation might be somewhat misleading. I totally agree with the take-away though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry I was confusing. I should have clarified what kind of models I am writing. That anecdote is only semi-related in the sense it touches on model assumptions, but are of completely different nature. In that story, it is a wrong question. But here we are only aiming for different things. The only reason I mentioned that anecdote is because I wish to write a blog on that. the potential title is "cost and benefit analysis in writing a model".

      Delete
    2. No problem. All models assumptions have limitations for sure, and how we treat them largely depend on what we are seeking for, exactly as you mentioned. Looking forward to your next blog about model-writing!

      Delete