Saturday, November 23, 2013

What do you deserve?

I have been listening to Harvard Open Course on Justice. It has been an awesome experience, though from time to time I get deeply troubled by some of the responses students give. What troubles me most is in the class where Rawlsian idea of justice was debated.

One guy named Mike argued that the society should be based on meritocracy. To illustrate his point, he gave an example of college admission, where he argued forcefully that he worked hard, and put in effort, so he deserve to be admitted based on his merit alone.

To begin with, I must confess I embrace meritocracy, a topic for another day, but I am uncomfortable with the fact that he is so confident that his performance and his admission is due solely to his own merit (you need to watch the video or at least hear the conversation to see that conviction), and oblivious to the fact that he is fortunate to have many who helped him during the process.

His intrinsic assumption is that his excellence today, which secured him a place in Harvard, is all his doing, his merit and his effort. Let us put aside whether merit or talent is arbitrary in themselves, it is a mistake to think our performance or excellence is a deterministic function of our decisions, talents or other merits. Whenever I reflect upon my past, I am often amazed at how fragile this path has been, and how much uncertainty it involves---I was extremely lucky to meet numerous people, who were so kind to give me a helping hand when I need them, provide guidance when I am lost, and share their wisdom in discussions.  They never had to. My teachers in high school and professors in college never had to discuss ideas with me to foster my interest and kindle my curiosity, they never had to spend time writing an enthusiastic recommendation letter which were essential for my admission to Williams, and then to Harvard and Stanford. Without their enthusiasm, things would be very different.

I doubt if anyone has a different story. To say the very least, everyone in Harvard got in with at least a strong recommendation letter. Your recommender does not have to write such a good one. It takes time. Even if you are extremely talented, he still does not have to. It is a favor done for you. Don't take it for granted.

I think when people are given some favor, even for an arbitrary reason, they get used to it, and think somehow they deserve it. It is because of this, we feel entitled to everything we earn. But we don't. We owe a lot to those who helped us.  We are lucky to get those help.

This blog is about uncertainty, which shapes our world more profoundly than we typically recognize. It is via recognition of its role, can we understand our proper role, can we shred undue arrogance, can we fully appreciate our fortune that makes us who we are today.

My hope is from now on, I can write a series of blogs on several issues and dedicate them to the people who mostly influenced my thinking, and inspired my interest. Ten years later, I can look back at those blogs, I will not lose perspective of who have helped me along the way, will not falsely think that I deserve everything, and will be reminded of the responsibility I have because I owe so many people.


2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. especially now that I am in the middle of application process. There are people who spent 3 hours skyping with me to discuss my statement. people who explained to me everything they knew about the admission process and made sure I put my energy and time to the most efficient places. recommenders who are writing distinct letters for each of the program that I am applying to. If I end up not getting in, it'll most likely be because I am really not ready. but if I do get in somewhere, it is definitely not my own making.

    Another interesting observation: at places like education school or sociology department, what we are discussing here is pretty much accepted as axiom. you would barely ran into anyone who believes that things like admissions to college is because of individual effort or merit. but outside these disciplines they are radical ideas. our discipline really shapes the way we think and what we consider as truth of universe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that those places are not blind to the role of external factors. However, I think they tend to err on the other side---neglecting the role of choice. Yes, some circumstances make certain choices hard for us, but we are still capable of making these choices. It is wrong to equate difficulty in making certain choices with not able to make certain choices. While one should be mindful of the role of external factors as individuals, it will be deplorable if the society as a whole get apologetic for poor choices, and exonerate people from the responsibility of making poor choices.

      Delete